Destruction, UDK problems and New focus.


A couple of weeks ago I finally decided that I wanted my textures to look like they could fit in with the latest Tomb Raider game, therefore I adjusted and remodeled parts of my main  building assets, then put them together in a way that looked broken, to go with the texture style.

I then textured the bridge to get it to the standard I what all my assets to be.

However as I mentioned a few posts back, I was modeling everything, then assembling it in 3DSMax, to import "asset chunks" into UDK. This has coursed a big problem, as it will be almost impossible to make good light maps with the chunks.

As Time is short and I can't afford to go back and make light maps for all the pieces of my assets, then reconstruct them or import each individual piece. This means I will no longer be using UDK to place my assets in, instead I will use Marmoset Toolbag 2.

Marmoset doesn't require light maps and the lighting within the program is very powerful and I think this will be a great, time saving option.

Obviously Marmoset isn't a full Game engine, so some parts of my environment will need to be scrapped, however I feel I wouldn't have had time for these anyway.

No longer needed: Moving water, Noises, Assets outside of main environment, Moving Vegetation, Collision.

I am happy for my environment to be a static image and without the ability to walk around, as this means I can focus on textures and getting a good final render.

Below is a couple of broken assets:


No comments:

Post a Comment